Beatles Eleanor Rigby (lyrics)(open every blue item in a new window)
1. Read the lyrics.
2. Listen to the song, while reading the lyrics again.
3. Read the lyrics aloud, alone or in pairs.
4. Speaking: Look at the lyrics. Ask and / or answer the following questions.
Work alone or with a partner. Don’t write anything down.
5. Listen to the song again and fill in the Gaps exercise.
1. Who are we looking at here?
2. What does Eleanor Rigby pick up in the church?
3. What has just happened?
4. How does she live?
5. Where does she wait?
6. Where does she keep her face?
7. Any idea who it is for?
8. Which questions are asked here about lonely people?
9.What is father McKenzie writing?
10.Will anyone hear the sermon?
11.What is father McKenzie doing in the night?
12.Does anyone see him doing it?
13.Does that worry him?
14.What happened to Eleanor Rigby in the church?
15.How was she buried?
16.Did anybody come?
17.What is Father McKenzie doing with his hands?
18.When is he doing that?
19.Was anybody saved?
Writing: Imagine you are Eleanor Rigby.
Write your story in at least 100 words
Reading: Who was Eleanor Rigby?
One thing is certain: this seemingly simple and beautiful song is a work of poetic art. I assure you, your students will agree with that assessment.